Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

A NEW Day in the Life - September 2013

Buddies Yinancia and Eina, both just turned three, playing dress-up
As I sit here thinking about how I can best go through my day, I think, "Keep it short and sweet," but then I am immediately wondering, "How can such a long (albeit fast) day be made short?" So I have once again gone to my hour-by-hour description and hope you will be able to take a glimpse into my world. So much has changed since my A Day In The Life from April.

645am - my alarm goes off and I start to get ready for the day before I wake Yinancia (3) at 7 to get ready for school and go downstairs for breakfast. Eventually leans to ushering along the other kids who leave for school at 745.


Eina and Yinancia (both 3) in their school uniforms
A helpful tidbit: The public school has morning, afternoon, and evening sessions - and we have kids in all three. Our school has morning and afternoon sessions (10-12 and 230-5) and all of our kids attend at least one, depending on when they are in school "outside."

Kimberly (7), Yinancia (3), Yohana (9)
745am - Morning kids get taken to school and this includes our three littlest who are 3 and 4. They go to a private Christian school in town.

I make sure that Kimi is up and showering, that Evlin has showered and eaten and then usually head up to Nana and Poppo's for a cup of coffee and some good old "porch time" - many days, I believe it is what keeps me sane. (Thanks, Nana and Poppo!)
Lones (12), Karina (10), Yinancia in the truck to go to school
in the morning

845 – I ring the bell for our 6 early elementary age students to get ready for their class here on campus. This means washing their feet and putting on their yellow polo shirt that is the uniform at our school.(They are all in first grade in the public school in the afternoon.) 

This time of the morning, I am often in my room tidying up or having a bit of quiet time before... 

945 – ...when I ring the bell for our 10am class kids, which is all of our teens who have already been up and working for a couple hours. I help set up classrooms with water for teachers and snack and vitamins for the kids.

10-12 – I tutor a couple of our kids one-on-one to help them improve their reading skills which will then allow them to learn practically anything else. It has been sad to me this week to realize that our 4th and 5th graders are barely able to read, and yet they get passed along from year to year. It is my purpose to help them learn to really read, rather than just memorize phonetic letter pairs. (Don't even get me started on the school system here...) I really look forward to seeing the improvement. :)

Morning school kids on the truck and ready to go (me catching a ride up to Nana and Poppo's)
Photo credit to Vanderly Arnold
1215 – Public school kids come home and change out of their uniforms. I get Yinancia changed and hang out with her until her afternoon preschool teacher comes.

Avila and Kimi playing with my camera
1230 – Lunch begins some time between 12:30 and 1:15. I am the adult at a table of 7 boys: Gabriel (18), Redando and Izrael (14), Lones and SonSon (12 and 11), Jefri and Wisguebi (both 6).

I am still in charge of our serving dishes getting washed and am usually following up on who needs to be doing their chores from the chore board, but I also make sure that my girls Kimi and Evlin are getting ready after lunch for school. 

2 – Afternoon public school students leave in the truck with Stephen, while the rest of us oversee what is still happening for post-lunch clean-up.

215 – I ring the bell once again (if Vanderly doesn't beat me to it!) for everyone else to get ready for our afternoon classes – wash feet, change into yellow shirt, etc.

230 – Teachers have arrived and our afternoon classes begin. I tutor another student or two until about 330.

330-5 – This is my designated, self-claimed "off" time, which usually means that I am sitting in my room reading or writing or doing things on the computer (always eating a snack). It is imperative to have this down time or else I am wasted by the end of the day. (Oh wait. That happens anyway... ;P )

Lopes, Gabriel, Enel, and Caleb - keepin it cool for the camera
5-6 – La merienda y nos vamos! Our classes let out at 5 and the kids get another snack. Three days a week, I drive our Day Program kids home, maybe stop at the 20-10 store or roadside for shopping/ groceries/ fruit. At some point along the way home, we usually pass our teens who go to school in the evenings. These are mostly kids who have only just begun an education, for example, Roman, who is almost 16 and only learned to write his name a little more than a year ago. I am proud of them for wanting to learn and for taking advantage of the opportunity to do so.
Tracy, Alicia, Avila

6-730 – hang out with the kids, orchestrate clean-up of playroom/hallway/etc; sometimes take a walk to Nana and Poppo's for tea, with or without a couple kids.

730-8 – Dinner! Last night was my favorite: big buns of bread with cheese (and ketchup if one prefers) and hot chocolate for dipping or drinking. :)


8 – I head upstairs with my three youngest girls: Yinancia, Kimi and Kimberly. Yinancia has gotten very used to our nighttime routine which goes something like this: BaƱar! (bathe) Cepillar! (brush teeth) Cierra la luz! (turn off the light) And then, every night without fail, Yinancia says, "Alleluia! Yo quiero Alleluia." This is her request for the song Agnus Dei that I started singing to her last year when I would put her down for her naps, and then this year, too, when she was still living with our other house mom who left in July. She will sing along with me. Alleluia, for the Lord God Almighty Reigns! It is a precious part of my day. I pray and say good night. Kimi and Kimberly get ready for bed while I am with Yinancia and wait for me to come tuck them in. 

830-9 – Bedtime with Kimi and Kimberly – reading, singing, talking, praying – goodnight and lights out. I really love this time (when I am not having to battle strong wills ^_^ ) because it is the only time I can really be with these sisters alone. We do lots of talking and asking questions and singing together. 

9 - 930 – Sisters Yohana and Karina come upstairs to get ready for bed. I am with them until about 930 - doing the same as I have done with Kimi and Kimberly. Sometimes we do hair (ours or Barbie's). Always end my time with prayer (Yohana wants Spanish and Karina always demands English ^_^ ) and a kiss and "I love you"

Sometime between 930 and 10 Tracy, and Alicia and Avila (these two are sisters) have to come upstairs to get ready for bed and between 1030 and 11 go into their rooms for bed.

I tell every girl “I love you” every night. It is a beautiful thing to hear “I love you, too” in English coming from them! ^_^

Sometime after 10:30, I finally get MY shower. I LOVE my shower at the end of the day. My bathroom has really become my sanctuary... Mother's life...

Throughout the days, there are so many more details, some expected and some not: follow up on showering and clothes left in the bathroom, water from my fridge, water bottles for school, putting clothes away, turning off lights and fans, checking the play room and following up with clean-up, personal room cleaning/tidying.

Every day is so full, and sometimes - often - it is overwhelming... But every day is worth it. I am experiencing a different level of weariness, but also a new measure of grace and love. Go grateful for the Lord's mercy, for the strength and patience to endure new trials and frustrations, and for His continued blessings in this place. We all grow and learn together.

Click on this video to view a moment of time in my beautiful life. :)
My princesita understands and is able to speak more and more English as we share living space :)


My reminder for the week:
God’s servant must not be argumentative, but a gentle listener and a teacher who keeps cool, working firmly but patiently with those who refuse to obey. You never know how or when God might sober them up with a change of heart and a turning to the truth, enabling them to escape the Devil’s trap, where they are caught and held captive, forced to run his errands. 
{2Tim2:24-26, MSG}

3 comments:

  1. Wore me out reading it haha this is great! I am a little envious of your dinner last night :) I'm missing it all especially the dipping cheese sandwiches in chocolate soup! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a busy long day Jenna. But a beautiful one as God's uses you as an administrator of His grace to these beautiful children! "Do not grow weary in doing good, for..." Hallelujah! indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pastor Gerry! Love that verse! Great reminder :)

      Delete