Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

To Dispel the Darkness


Where there is light, darkness cannot dwell. And so this, to be Light in a dark world, is my purpose. It is the purpose of all those who follow the greatest Light of all, who is Jesus Christ - Light of the World.  Do I carry His Light wherever I go? Do I carry the Glorious Presence of Him who created Light, so that it shines from my face so brightly that people cannot deny He who lives in me?
High and lofty speech is this, but it is my purpose, what I am created for. To be Light. To dispel Darkness.
Sometimes it is too easy to think that darkness is too big for me to do anything about it, but truly, the smallest bit of light can still be seen in a room full of dark. Think of the power of a single candle in a pitch black room. Even its flickering flame chases shadows to the corners. So it is with me, and so:
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine.
Yes, this little light of mine,
       I'm gonna let it shine! 

I want to share with you evidence of the Light that is living here at the Children's Home.



First, if you can, listen to this song by clicking on the title (will take you to Youtube).


(CeCe Winans)
I was just a child, when I felt the Savior leading
I was drawn to what I could not understand
And for the cause of Christ, I have spent my days believing
That what He'd have me be, is who I am

As I've come to see the weaker side of me
I realize His grace is what I'll need
When sin demanded justice for my soul

Mercy said No
I'm not gonna let you go
I'm not gonna let you slip away
You don't have to be afraid
Mercy said No
sin will never ever take control
Life and death stood face to face
Darkness tried to steal my heart away
Thank You Jesus, Mercy said No!

For God so loved the world, that He sent His son to save us
From the cross He built a bridge to set us free
Oh, but deep within our hearts, there is still a war that rages
And makes a sacrifice so hard to see

As midnight fell on crucifixion day
The light of hope seemed oh so far away
As evil tried to stop redemption's flow

And now when heaven looks at me
It's through the blood of Jesus
Reminding me of one day long ago


Mercy said No
I'm not gonna let you go
I'm not gonna let you slip away
You don't have to be afraid
Mercy said No
sin will never ever take control
Life and death stood face to face
Darkness tried to steal my heart away
Thank You Jesus, Mercy said No!


     I am so grateful for the truth that this song carries and the promise it holds for every one of our children, so many of whom have been rejected, neglected, abused, disregarded - so many of whom are hurt and angry and apathetic due to the lives they have lived to this point in their few years. But light is made to dispel darkness, and even in the darkness of their experiences, the Light shines and loves and heals and restores. The mercy of God says, "No! Darkness will not win!" and calls each of us out from the mire of our lives into the abundance and freedom of joy and peace that comes from trusting in Jesus.


     Meet Caleb (say cah-LEB) who will turn sixteen on October 12 this coming week. He is one of our teens with whom I immediately connected when I first arrived in Jimani this year. He has a sweetness and a charm and the most beautiful smile, but there was so much more hidden deep down inside of him. 
     I make it a habit to ask the kids what they are thinking about when I notice the "far off" look - most of the time they will not admit to anything, but at least they know I care and want to know their heart. I had done this with Caleb many times, but then there was one day when he told me he was thinking about his mother, and then he just kept talking. He told me his story, why he was here, with details that he had not shared with anyone here before. He had a mom and dad and a bunch of siblings, but his father was abusive toward him, hitting and beating him - "Cada dia! Cada dia! ...No sé por qué." Every day! Every day! ...I don't know why. He showed me some of the scars on his arms. Eventually, the abuse drove him to the streets with the determination never to go back to where his father is. "Nunca. Nunca!" Never. Never!
     Hardened and trained by street life - and seeking a way out - he discovered Chadasha's Children's Home and was welcomed in. He came angry and burdened, ready to fight at an incorrect word, quick to pick up a rock and threaten death - and totally put off that he would be required to participate in family chores such as washing dishes.
     
     By the time I came in March, he had settled enough that I had no idea he had these issues before, and we became friends. We built a trust and I saw a beautiful eagerness, a little boy inside a teen's body, thirst for the Truth of God. In May, the Lord spoke to me about Caleb and encouraged me, that he was fertile soil, ready and willing to nurture the seeds of Truth. I told him this and reminded him often. Usually there would be a questioning pleading in his eyes and a whispered thank you, and I could tell God was working. In June, Caleb received a prophecy which, amidst other words, challenged him to, "Open your heart to [the Father], and be ready to be surprised by His love!"

Embraced by the Father (Photo Cred to Aaron Holmes)
 In early July, Caleb told us that he wanted to trust Jesus with his life, and that very evening he was baptized, an event witnessed by all the kids and two short-term missions teams visiting from the States. It was one of the most emotional and moving experiences of my life as I watched Caleb and another of our boys profess their love and commitment to the Lord and be claimed as sons by both the Heavenly Father and our dads here on campus. Caleb who has never had a positive father-figure in his youth, finally belonging and experiencing both earthly and heavenly Love. As he rose out of the water, we clapped and cried (that is an understatement - I wept) and I hugged him for a long time, overwhelmed by what God had done in this young man's life.

     That is Light overcoming Darkness.

So Much Love! (Thanks for capturing these moments Vanderly Arnold!)

This bit of school work was an exercise of heart and mind.
These words declare,"I am chosen. I have a heart full of the joy
and peace of God. My life I live for Him. I know who I am
because He loves me."
    



     Caleb still has rough spots, just like the rest of us, where the Master Creator needs to do some smoothing and reshaping, but he has a new hope and a new look at life. He knows whose he is and continues to learn who he is because of belonging with Christ. He is my brother in the Lord, a child of my heart, and I love him with a big love that overwhelms me sometimes. I love to speak the Truth to Caleb, or to incorporate it into our tutoring sessions - having him read declarations of who he is in Christ, that he has a Father who loves him and values him, that he will shine his Light to the world in his demonstration of the Father's love.

   

     Caleb, neglected and abused street-kid full of anger and hate, is learning to be a gentle, caring, strong, bold and whole-hearted lover of God who will shine brightly among his peers and all people for being so filled that he cannot contain the Love of the Father.


Caleb Antoine (Photo Cred to Vanderly)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. {Colossians 1:9-14}


Caleb and many of our children do not yet have sponsors. If you are interested in helping to cultivate the Light in our kids, maybe you will consider joining our team by becoming a sponsor! Visit this link to meet more of our children and get more information.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this!! He looks so much older already in those pictures! Will you give him a big hug for me and tell him I talk to God about him please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an encouragement this is to my heart! I will continue praying.. thanks for including us in this heavenly occupation. My heart swells. Kaeley

    ReplyDelete